If you have been arrested for DWI or driving under the influence in any city in Texas, including Austin, Arlington, Dallas, Houston, Caldwell, Calhoun or Callahan County, you may need the assistance of a DUI lawyer.
Did you know that it is illegal in every state to drive with a blood alcohol concentration of 0.08% or higher? Did you know that if a police officer does not think you can safely operate your vehicle you could be stopped and arrested for driving under the influence in Texas regardless of your blood alcohol concentration level?
A Texas DUI arrest can have severe long-term consequences including: severe penalties, probation, jail time, mandatory installation of an ignition interlock device and mandatory alcohol education classes.
If you have been arrested for a DWI in Texas, whether it is your first DUI arrest or you a multiple DWI offender, a DUI lawyer in Texas can help. Most DWI lawyers offer a free initial consultation so they can review all of the DWI evidence for your DWI case before deciding on a plea.
Penalties for DWI in Texas
The first DWI arrest in Texas is a Class B Misdemeanor and penalties can include the following:
1. Up to 180 days in jail
2. Fines up to $2,000
3. Potential community services for at least 24 hours but not more than 100 hours
1. A condition of release by the court may include a mandatory installation of a deep lung machine in the suspect’s car.
2. Fines up to $4,000
3. Jail confinement of no less than 72 hours but no more than one year
4. At least 80 hours of community service but no more than 200 hours
5. License suspension for at least 80 days but less than two years
The third DWI arrest in Texas is a third degree felony and penalties can include the following:
1. Fines up to $10,000
2. Prison term for two to ten years
3. Mandatory installation of a deep lung air device is usually ordered as a condition of bond or release
4. Community service must also be completed for 160 to 600 hours
5. Suspension of a driver’s license for 180 days to 2 years
6. Mandatory alcohol treatment programs
Hiring a DWI Lawyer for a DWI arrest in Texas
Drivers who have been arrested should contact a DUI lawyer as soon as possible. DUI lawyers can review the DWI arrest and evaluate whether or not the law enforcement officer followed all the standard procedures and whether the machines which were used to test for DWI were correctly calibrated. DWI arrests have serious consequences and you should not fight your DWI arrest in Texas alone.
Latest posts by Beth (see all)
- California DUI penalties for minors arrested for DUI? - May 6, 2017
- California DUI with minor in the car. What will happen? - April 30, 2017
- Delaware DUI what do I need to know? - April 23, 2017