Indiana Third DUI- What Can I expect?If you have been arrested for drunk driving three or four times in the state of Indiana, unfortunately, you know the drill. You know that your first court appearance will be the arraignment. At your arraignment you can plead guilty or not guilty.
What if you decide to fight your DUI case? You will plead not guilty at the arraignment and either find a DUI lawyer to fight your case for you, or if you do not have the means to hire a DUI lawyer, the court may appoint one for you. You will also have to provide evidence of your financial situation, and the court will assess whether or not you will be held in jail or if you can post bail. The court will also set a court date for your drunk driving case.
What do I do after my DUI arraignment?By now hopefully you have a DUI lawyer and you have met with them and discussed the facts of your Indiana DUI case. Your DUI lawyer will review all the evidence for your case and help you determine if it is best for you to attempt to get a plea bargain or if you can fight the charges at trial.
DUI charges- Felony or MisdemeanorIf you have been arrested for multiple DUIs in Indiana within a ten year period you will be charged with a drunk driving felony. If this is your third OWI conviction in 10 years you will be charged with a Class D Felony and you can expect the following OWI penalties:
- OWI fines up to $10,000
- Jail time from 10 days to three years
- License suspension for one year to 10 years
- Possible mandatory installation of an ignition interlock device
- Mandatory 360 hours of community service or other type of DUI restitution outlined by the DUI court
- Mandatory attendance in an alcohol abuse treatment program
- Possible participation in a victim impact panel
- Possible habitual offender designation
- Mandatory purchase of SR22 insurance
- Possible probation following your jail term.