24 Hour Toll Free Help

DWI in Oceanside, New York

If you have been arrested for DWI in Oceanside, New York, you may have realized too late that the Oceanside Police Department is “committed to apprehending intoxicated drivers and citing motorists who have violated laws which cause collisions.” A DWI is a serious offense in every part of the country, including Oceanside, New York. The holiday season is especially dangerous, and it is not unusual for local law enforcement to join with other safety partners to remind drivers to not drink and drive. According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, “32,885 people were killed in motor vehicle traffic crashes in 2010. Thirty-one percent (10,228) of those fatalities involved alcohol-impaired drivers.” With this is mind, drinking and driving at any time of the year is dangerous.

What do I do after a DWI in Oceanside, New York?

Although you may be tempted to plead guilty to a DWI in Oceanside, New York, before you do, make sure you understand what penalties and fines you may be facing. For instance, if you are charged with a first time DWI in New York you could face the following penalties and fines:
  • You may face a jail term up to one year.
  • You will be forced to pay fines from $500 to $1,000.
  • You will have your driver’s license suspended for at least six months.
  • You will be forced to pay a mandatory surcharge.
  • You will be forced to attend a mandatory alcohol education course.
  • You may be required to install an ignition interlock device on your car.
If you have been arrested with a passenger who is under the age of 16 in your car the drunk driving penalties after a DWI in Oceanside, New York, are even more severe. A DWI arrest with a minor in the car is considered a Class E Felony and you can be fined up to $5,000 and spend up to four years in jail.

Can I plead my case to a lesser offense in Oceanside, New York?

Unfortunately, unlike many states which may allow first time offenders to plead their drunk driving charge down to a wet reckless, this reduction in charges is not allowed in the state of New York. You may be allowed to plead your DWI down to a DWAI (driving while alcohol impaired) but this should be discussed with a DWI lawyer.

What long-term ramifications will I face for a DWI in Oceanside, New York?

Not only will a DUI cost you time and money, a drunk driving arrest could also negatively affect your family and your employment. In fact, even if you are not convicted of DWI, if you refuse to take the blood alcohol concentration test (BAC) the state of New York can suspend your license for one year and fine you $500 for your first drunk driving arrest.  
Enhanced by Zemanta