DUI - How do I know if I am an alcoholic?Many drivers on our DUI forum are arrested for multiple drunk driving arrests and are frequently sent to prison. So how do you know if you have a drinking problem BEFORE you find yourself in jail? There are some signs that drivers can look for to know if they need to seek treatment for their alcoholism.
What is alcoholism?Having a drink every now and then may not be dangerous, but if you have become dependent on alcohol and you are not able to control when, how much, or how long you drink, you may be an alcoholic. For instance, if your drinking has destroyed relationships or has become detrimental to your employment or your financial situation it may be time to get help.
Symptoms of AlcoholismAlcoholics share common symptoms. If you have these symptoms it may be time to seek professional help. If you are arrested for drunk driving attending specific types of alcohol treatment programs may be a requirement of your sentence or license reinstatement. What are some common symptoms of alcoholism?
- Blacking out when you consume alcohol.
- The inability to limit the number of drinks you consume.
- Withdrawal when you do not drink, including shaking or nausea
- Loss of interest in other activities or relationships
- Drinking in private or hiding your habits
- Intolerance to low levels of alcohol consumption and needing more alcohol to experience the same effects.
- Drinking alcohol as soon as you get up each day.
- Defensiveness about your alcohol habits
- An intense craving to consume alcohol each day
- Loss of control when you drink