Chicago DWI what fines and penalties can I expect?Recently on our DUI forum we had questions from a driver who was stopped for drunk driving in Chicago, Ill. This drivers blood alcohol concentration was 0.10%, and they have been assigned a public defender. This driver asked what fines and penalties they could expect if they are convicted of a Chicago DWI.
Fines and penalties after a Chicago DWIIf you have been arrested for a Chicago DWI the fines and penalties you might face will depend entirely on whether this is your first, second or third DWI and whether there are any aggravating factors for your Chicago DWI arrest. Assuming this is your first DWI charge you can expect the following penalties and fines if you are convicted:
- Required jail time up to one year
- Fines up to $2,500 (additional fines if your BAC is high or you had a child under the age of 16 in the car)
- Minimum license suspension of one year
- Potential installation of a ignition interlock device
- Required community service if your BAC is high or you have a child under the age of 16 in your car.