California DUI how much does it cost?Recently on our legal forum a user asked, I have been charged with my first California DUI. I have heard all the advertisements about how expensive a DUI can be. I am getting a bit nervous. Can you provide information about how much this California DUI will cost me? Will I have to hire a DUI lawyer, and if so, how much will that cost?
California DUI will cost you thousands of dollarsOver the last thirty years lobbying groups such as Mothers Against Drunk Driving (MADD) have had a signification impact on lawmakers. What might have been considered a minor crime with offenders receiving a slap on the wrist thirty years ago is not handled with a nod and a wink anymore. If you are arrested, charged, and convicted for a California DUI you should expect to pay thousands of dollars in fines, penalties, and attorneys fees. Lets take a closer look at the money you will pay.
- Attorneys fees between $1,000 and $10,000
- Statutory minimum fine of $390 up to a maximum of $1,000
- Penalties and assessments which could be as high as $1,700
- Three month DUI program- $575
- Potential installation of an ignition interlock device for 5 months- $325
- Vehicle towed and stored after California DUI arrest- $350
- License reinstatement paid to the California DMV- $125
- Additional insurance costs to get SR-22 insurance- could be as high as $10,150